Saturday, January 6, 2018

Dunkin and Georgina #GuineaPigs

The number of pets in our home is growing.  We have now five rabbits, two guinea pigs, and two dogs.  Having pets is wonderful but it can be a daunting task especially if all of the responsibility of taking care of them is on you.  Don't get me wrong, I love   pets, I grew up   having too many around us but  my parents were very strict that we  take care of  our pets or  they will get rid of them and so we did.  My kids on the other hand just love having them but sometimes neglect to help in taking care of them.  I will take the blame for it, I am not  strict  in imposing rules to them.  This year, it will change.  They started to  really pitched in in taking care of them especially during the Holiday break.
 We adopted a female guinea pig a while back but she died  shortly after just a month.  I think she  was sick when we got her.  So we decided to  look for another female to adopt  so that the male has a companion.  We never found any for adoption so after my kids bugged me a million times, I  gave in and we got them  another one (see it is part my fault why the number of our pets is growing, it's hard for me to say no lol).  
 Just like Penelope, this new  guinea pig  is also a long haired one.  Looking at the 10 different breeds of guinea pigs at Guinea Pig Hub, ours  looks like the Peruvian type.  Dunkin is a common breed or American.
 We named her, Georgina or Gigi for short.  She is  so small when we got her but now, she is almost Dunkin's size.  Just like rabbits, our male guinea pig is also very aggressive.  He always tries to make out (I don't know the proper term for it so pardon my words) but  Gigi always runs away which is good because I don't think I am ready to raise guinea pig babies he he.
 We put them on a separate cages because  wood chips flew everywhere when we  tried to put them in the same  place.  We didn't want Gigi to stress out so we just put their cages side by side.  We always hear Dunkin making the purr sound.  
We take them out of their cages  every so often  and make them run around and chase each other.  However, when our dogs are around, Gigi gets so scared.  It's awesome to see that Dunkin always come to the rescue and  try to protect her.  I would say that I like rabbits more than guinea pigs because the  former are friendly and they love to cuddle.  Guinea pigs are not so much of a cuddle buddy but they are certainly cute and their noises can be your  alarm clock lol.

19 comments:

valmg @ Mom Knows It All said...

I never had a guinea pig but knew several people that did. They're both cute, I think the longer hair is cuter but guessing more difficult to maintain.

Alli Smith said...

They are so cute! We never had guinea pigs when my kids were growing up but we had friends who did have two and they were always so much fun to watch.

Tomi C said...

My kids' elementary homeroom always had a pet guinea pig. I've even volunteered to keep the guinea pig during the Winter school break a time or two. I guess ours was pretty happy, he squeaked at mealtimes and whenever the kids played with him.

candy said...

We never had these types of animals for our kids when they were growing. up. One time it was our turn to take care of it for a class project. Just wasn't our type of pet.

Jeannette said...

I personally have never had a guinea pig but I have heard they are a fun pet to have. I know they do better when there's more than one because they are very social creatures. I love the hair on that one guinea pig. It is totally cool.

joannabri said...

Awe, they are so cute! I had a guinea pig growing up, and loved him very much. They are such great little additions to the family!

Farrah Less G. said...

Those are so adorable I love to squeeze them on their cheeks. I have an outdoor cat she is very fond of small living things right now like squirrel. I don't think i can have one of these cuties right now. But I definitely want this someday.

AiringMyLaundry said...

They are cute! My daughter would love a guinea pig, but we settled on a hamster. I never had either growing up, just cats.

Sarah Bailey said...

You can get male guinea pigs neutered, it can help with the aggression as well if that is an issue.

We have two males called Dobby and Sock, we have been lucky as we got them both as babies and bar a little bit of strutting when we first took them home they have got along since.

I hope yours become good lifelong friends :)

Lisa Favre said...

They are just too darn adorable for words. My friend has a guinea pig and she absolutely loves spending time with her!! They look like such calm companions!

Kelly Reci said...

I love how you let them out of their cage sometimes and their first instinct is to just chase each other around. That is too adorable! I bet they get along!

Pam said...

I've never actually had a guinea Pig as a pet. I think they are really cute though.

rosemary@myhomeandtravels said...

We usually only had outside pets as my dad thought most anything like this was too much like a rat. They are cute though.

sandy n vyjay said...

Though we never have had pets, we really love animals and do appreciate the people who have them and take care of them. The guinea pigs look really cute and just like rabbits.

Mimicutelips said...

You guys are true pet lovers. Growing up we had guinea pigs. They were Georgia & Georgina and they totally had babies.

Kita Bryant said...

I love playing with guinea pigs. These two are adorable.

Lexi said...

Ohh guinea pigs are adorable. I've never had any but I did have rabbits when I was younger.

My Teen Guide said...

I remember having guinea pigs when I was a little girl. Me and my cousin asked our grandfather to make a "house" for them. OMG, did they multiply! I must have given one guinea pig to every classmate I had in grade school.

Miss Angie said...

Awww, they're so cute! I've never had a guinea pig, but I hear they're great pets. I've had rats and bunnies though, and those were super fun!