Saturday, January 6, 2018

Why You Should Adopt Pets Instead of Buying Them


Unfortunately, breeding pets for business purposes is not illegal in all places yet, but you can make a better personal choice by choosing to adopt instead of buying. In case you are wondering what’s the difference or can’t think of enough reasons as to why one is better than the other, go through the following points.
Our adopted dog, Bolt

You are Supporting Horrifying Puppy Mills


Whenever you buy from a professional breeder, you are giving money to a business that makes a profession out of forcibly exploiting breeder dogs and puppies. In case you are not yet aware of the hell that a puppy mill is, click here to check out the reality.

It’s a Lot Cheaper

Puppy adoption is not only the better way to welcome a furry friend into your family, but it’s also more economical. Adoption charges are nominal as compared to buying a pedigree puppy and it often includes the costs of neutering, microchipping, and vaccinating. In other words, you get a healthy, spayed and vaccinated puppy at a lower cost.

They Need Your Help

Tens of millions of cats, dogs, and other pets are put into shelters every year, and unless you give them a home, they are living on borrowed time. They really need people to give them a loving home and each time someone buys a pet from a breeder or a pet shop, a pet loses its chance at survival.

Adoption is Rewarding

To know that you saved a life that was headed for euthanization is rewarding in itself. Chances are that the dog will show you enough gratitude to make sure that you will love yourself for that decision as well. It is to be noted that shelters have all kinds of dogs and some of them will have an abusive and sad history, which may lead them to be less charming. If you decide to adopt such a puppy, ensure that you understand what that means because the last thing an abused or abandoned dog needs is to be left alone once again.
Shelter Dogs may already have Training

This isn’t guaranteed, but most shelter dogs usually have at least some basic training from their earlier owners or from the adoption center itself. This means that you won’t have to worry about toilet training too much when you adopt.

Adoption Solves Pet Overpopulation Problem

A breeder may sell you a dog or any other pet without neutering it first, while all adoption centers must make sure that the puppy you are taking home won’t be able to add to the population. To some, it may sound cruel, but given the reality of the situation, it’s a necessary step. Millions of animals are put down every year because of overpopulation and at this moment, there aren’t enough homes to accommodate them all.

By now, it should be clear why animal lovers all over the world suggest that we adopt. Nevertheless, whether you adopt or buy, please make sure that your puppy doesn’t end up at the shelter one day.

19 comments:

Sigrid Says said...

Though I am not a pets person, I do agree about adopting because of the cost part. We did adopt somebody's hedgehog and then another one gave us his because he couldn't take care of him anymore. So now, we got two hedgehogs and a turtle- all adopted! :D I should really write about them. hihi

Alli Smith said...

There are so many sweet pets out there just waiting for someone to adopt them. We've adopted pets and we bought our German Shepherd, Max, from a local person who does not run a puppy mill. I can definitely see the advantages of adopting.

candy said...

Whole lot cheaper adopting a pet over purchasing one. Go to the local shelters and spend sometime there getting to know the different dogs or cat you are looking for. Never overlook the older ones, they are truly the best.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I so agree with this! We got our cats from shelters and plan to always get shelter pets. I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on a pet anyway. At least at shelters I know the money I pay goes towards the shelter and not some person just trying to get money from me.

Glam Karen said...

Thank you so much for promoting adoption. So many fur babies are in shelters right now waiting for their forever home. It's much better to adopt them and give them the home they deserve than to encourage breeding.

valmg @ Mom Knows It All said...

There are many great reasons to adopt a pet, and many homeless pets that deserve to be adopted. I don't believe all breeders are bad though. As with any big decision, getting a pet should be carefully considered taking all factors into account.

Ali Rost said...

All of our fur babies at home are adopted and I couldn't be any prouder. It's really important that we help rehome these animals as much as we can especially since there are shelters who euthanize pets when there's not much space anymore.

Miss Angie said...

YES! I agree completely. I'm a firm believer and supporter of rescues and shelters, there are too many homeless pets to buy animals.

Lisa said...

I am all about adopting pets! In fact, we are considering adopting a cat and we are so eager to give a deserving kitty a new home.

Our Family World said...

If I only had more room, I would love to adopt another dog. We have a small breed dog right now and if I will adopt another, I'd love to have a medium sized dog. I agree with you that adoption is better than buying from puppy mills.

Anonymous said...

There are so many pets at the shelter. I love the idea of rescuing one of them instead of buying. You bring up great points here.

Sara Welch said...

I am 100% for this. Adopting pets really does something to satisfy your soul.

Kita Bryant said...

All of my pets are adopted. Too many of them need homes to buy a pet.

ricci said...

I bought my sweet girl from a local lady who was selling puppies but I think from now on I will adopt! I can't scroll through Facebook without seeing all the poor puppies who need homes!!

Gabriella said...

Great post! I agree that adoption is super important! I'm also totally against puppy mills! I do understand if people want to get a certain type of dog and the shelter doesn't have it. When I was younger I had a labrador and I wouldn't have traded him for anything. But I'm all for adopting too. I actually volunteer at the shelter quite often and would love to adopt one day!

Carol Cassara said...

All the pets that I've had in my life were adopted. I think it's the best way to help out especially the animals that were rescued and have experienced a tough life before finding a forever home.

Bohemian Babushka said...

ALL of Babushka's pets have been adopted. How can someone not want to help save those poor things? Gracias for explaining the benefits. BB2U

Debra Hawkins said...

I am not sure that we will ever get a pet, but if we do we will for sure adopt! It is better for everyone!

Terri Beavers said...

Adopting and even fostering pets is a great idea. There are so many pets that need good homes. I'd adopt every one of them at our local shelter if I could have them in my apartment.