Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Daddy Long-Legs Spider or Cellar Spider

We visited my brother-in-law in  Chester last weekend just to unwind and relax.  We were talking  in their swimming pool area and  saw this  huge  daddy long legs spider over  my husband's chair.





According to Wikipedia, Pholcidae or commonly known as cellar spiders are a spider family in the suborder Araneomorphae. Some species, especially Pholcus phalangioides, are commonly called daddy long-legs spider, granddaddy long-legs spider, daddy long-legger, or vibrating spider. Confusion often arises because the name "daddy long-legs" is also applied to two distantly related arthropod groups: the harvestmen (which are arachnids but not spiders), and crane flies (which are insects). 

 For more information about this critter, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

12 comments:

Jeannie Marie said...

Such graceful creatures with those spindly legs casting even longer shadows!

LV said...

I have seen and been around many of these. Never liked them. Have not seen one in awhile, thank goodness.

Nova said...

I adhere spiders no matter how small they are, just not my fave animal. we have plenty of those in our mudroom. it's poisonous spider too, too bad their mouth is way too small to bite in order to penetrate the human body.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Nova, I am the only one at home that isn't afraid of spiders. I am more afraid of worms that these critters lol.

Diane said...

We have them all over the place here!!! They make a mess. Diane

MzBaker said...

Wonder what that little thing was thinking when you photographing him. lol

Healy Harpster said...

I love daddy long legs, we have lots of them in the yard!

Raya said...

spiders really scare me.. you did such a brilliant job taking those macro photos!

Olga said...

Oh dear! I've never liked spiders. Just looking at the pics is making me cringe. How did you even manage take close-ups?

Dhadha said...

OMG! Honestly, I'm afraid of spiders. I don't know why. Seeing those images really makes me feel na parang nag ccrawl ung spider sa katawan ko. Haha. :D

Unknown said...

my kids and hubby hates bugs and spiders.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

That spider looks interesting..