Friday, June 1, 2018

Seagulls

During winter, the influx of seagulls in our   place is heavy.  They usually  stays where the  shopping plaza is located.  They are pretty smart to be there because a lot of people  is around and chances are, they will be given food, which is the case in our place. 
When they are back, we always drive bar and watch them  fly around.  My kids find joy in feeding them.  I don't think there is a rule or law that says we can't  feed them so we let the kids do it.  I know in  state parks, they prohibit  the feeding of wildlife.  
I think when they are starving, they are very aggressive.  They are not scared to land  near you when there's food.  I am kind of tempted to put food in my hand and not toss it to see if they will land on my hand but I am also  kind of scared  doing it lol.
I found some interesting facts about these beautiful creatures.  According to Steven P. Wickstrom

" the word “seagull” is an informal way that laymen refer to any of the species that belong to the family Laridae, or the gulls. In all actuality, there is no such thing as a seagull. There is not actually a single species called the seagull, but people all over the world refer to them as seagulls. They are actually, and correctly, referred to as “gulls.” Gull's are most closely related to the terns (family Sternidae) and only distantly related to auks, and skimmers, and more distantly to the waders. Most gulls however, belong to the large family named Laridae. The word Laridae is from the Greek word meaning “ravenous sea bird.” The term “Seagull” can be misleading because many species of gulls live, feed, and nest inland. Gulls can be found around the oceans worldwide with the exception of some central Pacific islands, and some areas in Southeast Asia. I never saw a single gull while I was living on Oahu. The gulls are relatively uniform in shape but do vary in size and coloration. Gulls are the acrobats of the sky, making the seemingly impossible antics appear effortless. They can float motionless in midair by catching wind currents with perfect timing and precision while positioning their bodies at just the right angle."
I wish I can be  like these birds who doesn't feel cold when it is freezing outside. 
I did not know this but the article I read said that Seagulls do not survive solely off scavenging and stealing food from other creatures. They eat insects, fish, and eggs and the fact that they consume insects keeps the insect population in check. So these seagulls are natural pest control for farmers and gardeners.  I would like them to come in the summer time when insects are heavy lol.
We like to give these seagulls some food when they come. We usually give them crackers or popcorn.

1 comment:

Rhodesia said...

Great having them around but I am sure they also make a lot of mess! Take care Diane