Thursday, February 23, 2017

Lionhead Bunnies, Our New Fur Babies

Ever since our bunny, Wubzy, died, I told  myself I will never get a bunny anymore because it was hard losing  a pet that we truly loved.  But then we saw these two  lionheads rabbits at a tractor supply and we fell in love with them right away.  We named them Plumley and Pippin.  
 These lionhead rabbits have a very soft hair and just like our beloved Wubzy, they too are  fun to have around the house.  They  love to hop around the house and they are now getting braver everyday.  They used to  be scared around the  dogs but not anymore.
 Since  lionhead is a different breed from what we had before, I  did some research about them on how to take care of them and  found this article to be very  helpful.
 According to the article I read, the cost of lionhead is  between $20-$125 .  We  got ours for $12 each.  My husband is  planning to build a new  bunny house for them come Spring, just like what he built for Wubzy and Matilda before.  
 I can't wait to see them run around in the backyard when we  get our fence up.  Fence is our  new project  goal this summer.  I really want a fence around our backyard because we have dogs and now  these bunnies.  Caring for the dogs is easier  when you have a fence around  the yard.
 My kids just love  these two  new fur babies.  I have learned that I need to  brush their hair   everyday because if left unattended, the knots on their hair can cause pain and  infection.  
 One thing I  learned is that, both Plumley and Pippin loves  apple and lettuce.  We give them  fresh hay regularly and  of course their regular diet is pellet.
 They love to cuddle which the kids really  like.  When they come home from school, they immediately take them and put them in their lap or watch them run around.  
 The article said that  the life span of a lion head is up to 8 to 10 years depending on how you take care of them.  
 Plumley is the  male and he has big brown eyes.
 Pippin on the other hand have small eyes.
Here's a brief history of a lionhead  rabbit according to the lionheadrabbit.com website.

Lionheads were first created in Belgium by crossing two different dwarf sized breeds, although the debate of which two breeds were used, exactly, has left many scratching their heads in wonder. However, in doing the specific breed-crossing (quite possibly being that of a Swiss Fox and Netherland Dwarf) that was used, there was a gene mutation that occurred, causing this new breed to consistently produce a line of wool around the head region, and often times the flanks as well. This mutated gene is now referred to as the “mane” gene.

3 comments:

Nova said...

Those big blue eyes, just adorable. I love bunnies and I do wish we have one, but that's impossible as my partner likes animals but would rather not like to have a pet.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen said...

Awwww, the bunnies are so cute! Ykaie is asking for a pet bunny too and I'm still thinking about it.

Ria C said...

They are super cute! My goodness, those eyes and those cute bunny ears!!! Just be careful if they are male and female as they multiply quite fast, unless you want to breed more cute bunnies.